We're Really Up Here

In the spring of 2007, I quit my desk job and set out on a climbing road trip. This is everything that happened after that.

Saturday, April 28, 2007

Chillin in Yosemitizzle.

Faithful readers:

I'm sure you've just been dying for an update. I've been pretty busy climbing the last few days, so I haven't had a chance to post anything.

It's been a killer good time so far. Camp 4 was surprisingly empty when I arrived, and at firs there weren't too many climbers running around. But people have begun to show up, and now I have a steady supply of climbing partners.

I've been doing some cragging, longer routes, and even some bouldering. I've never been much into bouldering here, but yesterday evening we ran into a big crew working on some problems, and had a lot of fun cranking with them. Then we all went to the Pizza Deck in Curry, paid way too much for beers, and had a good time.

We had a little adventure the other day - we started out on a casual climb up the Nutcracker, 5.8, and ended up getting way off route, slabbing off into nowhere on dicey terrain above bad bolts. That was the second time I got off route on that climb, which is probably in the running for one of the most obvious lines in the park. Go figure. But we went back the next day and sent in good style.

With good climbing, good weather, and meeting new people, this valley trip has been everything I was expecting so far. Geez this place is fun.

2 Comments:

  • At 1:06 PM, Blogger Matt said…

    I've heard bad things about the camping policy at Camp 4 (restrictions on how much time you can spend there, asshole rangers, etc.). How is it based on your experience? Are people still dirtbagging it there?

     
  • At 2:40 PM, Blogger Kevin said…

    So far so good with the situation in Camp 4. I'm not stretching my stay here too far past the limit... add in some time on the wall and it's not too hard to get by for a month or so.

    If you want to stay longer than that, Camp 4 isn't the best option. But people still dirtbag it for sure. Everyone has their own beta, and there's no one trick to making it work,. But basically if you show up and you really want to be here, you'll figure something out.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home