We're Really Up Here

In the spring of 2007, I quit my desk job and set out on a climbing road trip. This is everything that happened after that.

Thursday, March 08, 2007

Working my way back up

I ran into two climbers named Michael and Christina on this last creek visit. We had a good time chilling together in the beautiful desert weather, and we even got a little climbing in. Both of them are strong climbers, and it was their first visit to the Creek. They both killed it, and I have photographic evidence...







Left to Right: Michael sending Supercrack, Christinia on the first moves of Coyne Crack, and Michael fighting the good fight on the upper section of Coyne Crack.

Starting my outdor season at Indian Creek has been a test of patience. I ended last season climbing fairly strong (unless you count that last trip with Elliot, Zac, and Ashley where I didn't redpoint a single route...) After bouldering in the gym all winter, I had hoped to come out of the gate even stronger this spring. And if I were climbing at a sport crag, that might be true. But not at the Creek.

The endurance required on these super physical routes is just unreal. And there's no practical way to train for this stuff, other than just getting out and doing it. It's been hard to get my rhythm going in the Creek - the only other place I've climbed full-time is Yosemite, and it's a bit harder to work yourself into the ground there. But in the Creek, you can completly toast yourself in two or three routes. It's awesome.

My body is slowly remembering how to do this "crack climbing" stuff, and my muscles are slowly adjusting to the punishment they're getting almost every day. I'm also learning how to take more down time, and give myself a chance to recover fully.

Meanwhile, I'm learning more about this new camera. A few lessons from today:
  • It's hard to get an even exposure in direct desert sun.
  • My new wide angle lens is so frickin wide, I have to crop my feet out of most of the shots
  • Pay attention to where that pesky autofocus is focusing...

5 Comments:

  • At 7:08 AM, Blogger testmonkey said…

    maybe I missed it in an earlier post, but what camera setup are you using?

     
  • At 11:34 AM, Blogger Kevin said…

    Right now, I'm shooting a Canon Rebel XT. For lenses right now I've just got a 50mm, and a 10-22mm. But with the focal multiplier of 1.6x, the 10-22 is actually more like a 16-35.

     
  • At 1:53 PM, Blogger testmonkey said…

    thanks for the follow up. My first comment should have mentioned that I like the shots you've put up. Keep the photos coming!

     
  • At 5:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dude, I'm good friends w/ Christina! I'm so damn jealous of the two of you. It's pretty ironic that two of my friends headed out on long term road trips and met up randomly! I hope those shoulders keep healin up.

     
  • At 11:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It's been a month now. What's the status of the Carhart dungarees?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home