We're Really Up Here

In the spring of 2007, I quit my desk job and set out on a climbing road trip. This is everything that happened after that.

Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Photo contest... Me vs. Me vs. Me.

For every picture you see posted here, there are probably 60-80 that don't make the cut. Granted I'll take 50 pictures of one person on one climb, and I'm only hoping for one or two good ones, so the constant failure isn't too soul crushing. But it's still a lot of work sorting through it all. And sometimes it's hard cause the shots can be real similar, and maybe I have a top three, but I can't decide which I like the best.

Hopefully you all can help. Take a look at the three pics below, all of Nate on Wigglin Worm. You've seen one of them before, but the other two are new. I like them all for their own reasons, but let me know which one is your favorite. (Let's assume for a second that I can photoshop my stupid foot out of the first one... Give me a break, I'm still learning.)























9 Comments:

  • At 4:04 PM, Blogger testmonkey said…

    I like the third because it provides some great perspective. To bad he's headless...

    I also really like the first.

    my 2ยข's.

     
  • At 4:28 PM, Blogger Kevin said…

    Yeah, that one definitely has the best perspective. Too bad Nate was hiding under the roof...

    I wish I could combine the climber from shot #1 with the framing of shot #3.

    I guess I just need to go back and shoot that spot again.

     
  • At 10:37 AM, Blogger Shorty said…

    The first pic is definitely the strongest if you get rid of that foot. The other two each have issues. In the second one, he's looking right at the camera, which gives it a posed feeling and distract from what's going on with the climbing. The third does have a totally sic perspective. But the headless thing makes it a tosser. You're getting there dude. Your recent stuff is substantially better than the pictures you have taken in the past.

     
  • At 10:41 AM, Blogger Shorty said…

    Oh yeah, I forgot to tell you last time.. I started a page at http://shortyimages.blogspot.com/ to share some climbing pics with partners who wanted to see them. My e-mail kept crashing when sending high-rez scans, so I figured this would be the best way. Check it out and feel free to comment.

     
  • At 2:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i really like the third one, I don't mind that he's tucked in under the roof, it's some major anticipation in my book...

     
  • At 10:12 PM, Blogger holtetboards said…

    dude, seriously - what camera are you using?

     
  • At 12:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    By far, the first pic is the best. You've got the look on his face and the hand with the tape and then the look on his face and the hand with the tape. Forget Photoshop. Use Picasa to just crop out the left hand side of the pic -- there's nothing there anyway. Maybe play with cropping on the top so that you can enlarge the rest of the image.

     
  • At 2:44 PM, Blogger Kevin said…

    I'd have to agree with most of you - the first one is my favorite. Let's play with cropping a little bit and see if we can get rid of that foot...

    Alex, I'm usually shooting a Canon Rebel XT. But the funny thing about this shot, which I think is my favorite so far, is that I snapped it with my little point and shoot camera - I didn't feel like hauling the big camera up that day. So after dropping all that cash on the digi SLR setup, I finally get a good shot with my cheaper camera. Go figure.

     
  • At 2:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The middle shot is the best one. Hands down.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home